Tuesday, February 28, 2012

first taste of milk

I've been pumping every 3-4 hrs during the day and one time over night. I'm fuller in my breast. Last night I was getting tiny drops of clear fluid which I put on a nuk. Today I got a milky fluid which was enough for me to pour it from the pump into her mouth. She was startled by the fluid but once she tasted it she smiled.

Last night while doing kangaroo care (which I had not been able to do at the hospital) she latched on for about one breath, suck, swallow before she got mad because it wasn't what she expected. She slept 3 hrs past her feed time all snuggled and naked on my chest.

I weighed myself yesterday am and had lost 10lbs!! I focused on drinking lots of fluids which I had been unable to do in the Nicu as no beverages were allowed. Ive gained about 5 lbs back. I wonder if the backward slide in size was due to dehydration. I'm hopeful and will keep you all posted.

1 comment:

  1. YAY!!! Just keep with it mama!!! I have a friend who just gave birth to a baby girl last week and for about five days it was like you described... then her milk came in and the baby is loving it!

    Congrats on getting her home!!!!

    ReplyDelete