Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Family Traditions

During the interview as part of our home study process the social worker asked "What are some of your families traditions growing up?" I couldn't think of anything. I was caught a little off guard. I think I told her we went to church Christmas Eve each year and couldn't come up with anything else.

Since blanking on this questions each time a family tradition occurs I think two things 1) I can't wait to share this with my child and 2) Why could I not come up with this when she asked me?!

Today is St. Nicks Day (not Christmas but the saints day for St. Nick). So last night we put out our shoes for St. Nick and when we woke up there were chocolates and nuts in our shoes. This was one of my favorite holidays growing up. Something about each person putting their shoe on their step and waking up with it over flowing with nuts, chocolates and either a kiwi or tangerine to top it off just made me happy. It also is a week after Thanksgiving, a week before my birthday, a little over two weeks before Christmas, which is then followed by New Years. It was also special because its part of my German heritage. I can't wait to share this tradition with my child. I've already started to think of some of the dilemmas. We live in an area thats predominately French not German there will not be other kids at school that have St. Nick come. We also dont have stairs for the shoes to sit on.

The other thing that I was thinking about is how funny it is that I still think of things I should have/could have said during our home study interviews. Thank goodness that process is behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment