Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Unsolicited Advice

I get lots of unsolicited advice about adoption but I dont get much about babies.

So I'm asking for it!  I want the BASICS.  The plan is to have a baby shower after the baby arrives.

I'm going shopping this Saturday on my list so far:

Things I have or can borrow:
Going home outfit
Cloth Diapers (check?? I have 32 prefold plus about 10 inserts with 7 newborn fuzzie bunz and lots of wipes)
Breast Pump
Pack N Play (on stand by)
Baby Swing (on stand by)
Car Seat
Blankets 5 (thanks to wonderful friends/family!!)
The Day you were born book and a Baby Book special for babies that are adopted (Thank you again friends and family :) )
Baby carrier
bottles (I think I have four I dont recall and I can't find them at the moment)
stroller
lots of books :)

Things I Plan on getting or may need more of:
Crib
I need a Lactaid
Formula?  (how much to get me started?)
Onesies (how many?)
Receiving blankets (I have 3 plus one swaddler)
burp clothes (I have three- I also am not opposed to using whatever is close to me i.e. diaper or receiving blanket)
Sleeping gown (how many?)
Crib mattress
Crib sheets
Crib cover

Things I plan to use in the mean time:
Pack N play
sponge baths

Have I over looked anything that is a MUST have?

4 comments:

  1. Washcloths make excellent burp cloths and they're a lot cheaper. We needed a lot of them for Jackson, because he was a spitter (lactose intolerant + acid reflux). However, Cassie can use the same one all day. She rarely spits.

    You may not need onesies at first. Sleep sacks or gowns are easier to get on. I don't know how much experience you have with really small babies, but if you don't have a lot, then dressing them is really harrowing for the first couple weeks. They're all floppy and they have those soft spots on their heads. I'd vote for 5 snap up or zip up sleep sacks as opposed to onesies.

    Sleepers are also better than onesies. Onesies are adorable, but overrated for newborns.

    Swaddling blankets are a must. I think we had 5 for Jackson. I like to not have to do laundry more than once every 4-7 days.

    True travel cribs or bassinets are better than Pack n Plays. I've used both.

    Mittens for baby's hands - just 1-2 pair.

    A hooded towel or two for bath time.

    A rocking chair/glider.

    I really recommend an organic mattress. Fire retardant chemicals are toxic - California is actually trying to phase them out, and we're the ones who voted them in in the first place, way back when.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up for formula and got 2 free cans from Similac. That's what I plan to use with the Lactaid system so hopefully those two cans will last until all my milk comes in and I won't have to buy anymore

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE to give unsolicited advice. ;o)

    For home, besides crib, dresser, etc., you also need a changing table or pad. We didn't have a changing table. Better to save the money and not buy a piece of furniture that will be worthless in two years. We fixed a changing pad to the dresser. Well not a pad, more like a little mattress - I have no idea what it's called. Bit it's a changing something that goes on top of a dresser.

    We have a crib that converts into a toddler bed and then into a full size bed. Check around and see if you like any. That's another way to save on furniture.

    I recommend a car seat & stroller combo. Check out the Chicco Trevi, the largest size you can find.

    Onesies? A million!!! LOL Think 3 onesies per day or so... ;o) I loved them from newborn to 6 months.

    The swaddler - I hated the Lamaze or any other brand with velcro or whatever. Better to go the old fashion way. Once you learn how to swaddle you'll do it in an instant. We had the best swaddling blanket from JJ Cole Collection, and it was just that - a blanket - lined on one side with a warm fabric that sort of stayed stuck together when the baby was swaddled.

    Bibs - get a million too. :o)

    Pack and play... Get one that has several stages and a changing table. Our daughter slept there the first two months, right by the side of our bed, and having a changing table there for those middle of the night diaper changes was a real convenience.

    On formula, I would wait and see what the baby gets at the hospital. Sometimes they start her on a certain formula and it's better to stick with that one, unless the baby is having an adverse reaction - GERD, allergies, etc. Then you can change brands or type. If you are matched before birth or with a newborn baby at the hospital they'll send you home with enough formula for a couple of days. They gave us enough for a week and even so we had to change the formula 48 hrs later and they gave us more for a week of the new kind. :o)

    If I think of anything else I'll let you know. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys!! I have my list and I'm on my way!

    ReplyDelete