Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Eve of finalization

I've been crazy busy w work and getting baby girl ready for her first day of daycare.  This morning I dropped baby girl off for her first full day of daycare.  I cried from the coffee shop to the center but was ok once I got her out of the car.  She was really happy this morning which is her usual disposition.  I set her down and she instantly was engaged in playing w a purple phone.  I stayed a few minutes then kissed her goodbye for the day.  She could have cared less.

Part of me was sad but part of me knew she did well w the transition because we worked hard at exposing her to different people, sounds and experiences.  If she was safe and fussing in someone's arms I tried to comfort her without taking her into my own arms.  She is willing to explore on her own because she is confident that I wouldn't allow her to be unsafe.  It broke my heart but made me beam with pride.

This morning I was her Mom.  Letting go while still wanting to hold her close.  To the other teachers and parents I am her mom.  I am the one that can share her likes and dislikes.  Recommend her routine and answer care questions.

In some ways it's fitting that her first full day of daycare was the eve of her finalization.  It is confermation of what I already know.  D is the woman that gave Baby Girl life and chose ME to be her mother.  I'm part of a special group of moms that can say: I was chosen for this ultimate role and granted this title of Mom.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the facebook quote I tagged you in? I thought of you right away from what you have been feeling about getting ready to go to daycare.

    I know it is hard to leave them when they don't seem to care you are leaving, but it is harder to walk away from them when they are in tears. I would much rather have them feel safe and content than upset you are walking out that door.

    I love the way all the pieces seem to fall into place with timing! Can't wait to see a picture of your "official" family. I'm so happy for all of you and will pray for the three of you and D tomorrow.

    {Hugs} and tears of joy!

    ReplyDelete